Before and After: Painting Our Bedroom

20170312_144615.jpg

Full disclosure: this one is actually a throwback. We painted the bedroom at the beginning of 2017, but I never got around to writing a post. I was too well-rested from not having to sleep in a lime green room all the time.

No, but seriously, I had some time to organize and backup all my photos, and I realized that I didn't write about so many projects! So I'm making up for lost time and covering some 2017 projects while working on 2018 projects in the present. 

Let's get to it.

Where We Started

You can see for yourself. We had a big bedroom that felt teeny tiny due to some oppressively bright lime green paint.

bedroompaint1
DSC_0157.jpg

Wall Repairs

Pat had to start with some wall repairs. There's a large cast iron pipe that runs in the wall between the bathroom and the bedroom. Our walls are lath and plaster, and it was visibly cracking right next to our bed. So Pat ripped open a hole in the plaster to inspect the issue.

It was easy to see. The lath was hugging the pipe and was protruding. So Pat cut a hole in the lath, added a drywall patch, and then plastered to finish.

Also, you can see some water damage on the lath in the pictures below. At the time, we thought it was condensation - we now know we had a pretty bad roof leak. It's fixed now, but looking back at these pictures, it's clear the signs were there pretty early.

 The water-damaged lath and plaster.

The water-damaged lath and plaster.

 Pat cut a hole in the lath (not shown, but just imagine a hole in the lath) to give the pipe some room.

Pat cut a hole in the lath (not shown, but just imagine a hole in the lath) to give the pipe some room.

 After installing a drywall patch. The surface no longer protrudes and is even.

After installing a drywall patch. The surface no longer protrudes and is even.

Patching, Cutting In, and Painting Trim

Pat did all the patching and caulking. Then, we both tackled cutting in. And with 3 closets, a fireplace, one door frame, and 5 windows, this is the worst room in the house for it. So yes, we tackled the most tedious room first. It took a long time (and I actually helped).

 Patching and caulking the seams.

Patching and caulking the seams.

 All cut in and ready for paint.

All cut in and ready for paint.

The End Result

I think we ended up needing 4 coats of the white paint to cover up the lime green. All we know is that this room will never get painted a dark color again - at least, not while we're in it.

 Woah! So bright! And we've since had our floors were refinished.

Woah! So bright! And we've since had our floors were refinished.

Like a lot of our other projects, we used Behr Ultra White in matte. We went with matte because this room gets a ton of sun, so we felt that a really reflective finish would be a little over the top.

Odds and Ends

We also replaced the window treatments. We got rid of the gauzy polyester curtains and bamboo blinds (which were bound to scratch and chip the new paint) with very simple wood blinds.

We got rid of the two wall-mounted shelves with brackets that were near our bed. You can see one of the shelves in the picture of the patched hole in the wall above. 

We also replaced all of the plastic switch plates with brushed brass plates. Since this is the second floor, we went with more affordable Stanley Hardware switch plates from Home Depot. We might upgrade in the future - but for now they work.

We still have a lot of work to do in the master bedroom, especially with decor, so we don't have much to show for a "styled" final photo. But I'll leave you with a picture of our kittens enjoying the afternoon sun on the bed. We hope you like this transformation as much as we do.

DSC_0025-2.jpg